Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Racial Identity in "I Like White Boys" by Sharon Flake and Mississippi Trial, 1955 by Chris Crowe


            Race and its effect on identity is prevalent in several of the texts we have read this semester. In “I Like White Boys” from Who Am I Without Him by Sharon G. Flake, there is obvious racial and social tension among the black students, the white students, and even within each of those racial categories. A similar tension is evident in Mississippi Trial, 1955 by Chris Crowe, and through these stories, we gain insight on how these tensions shape young adults.
            In “I Like White Boys,” Winter, a black female, judges her friend, Erika (also a black female), because Erika tends to be attracted to white boys. Winter and Erika attend a fairly affluent school where “we don’t really belong” because they are some of the few non-white students and are therefore seen as the “Ghetto girls.” The other black students at the school tease Erika because she acts “the right way—the white way,” speaking Standard American English and going after white boys. Others see her like an Oreo cookie—black on the outside and white on the inside. I think the tendencies Erika has to “act white” make others from her racial background feel betrayed, like she is trying to break away from them and have a separate identity. Many people feel proud of their racial heritage and cannot understand why others may not feel that way. This is especially true for Winter, who says she only likes boys who look like she does in regards to skin color. Winter feels the need to pick on Johnny while working in his group and nags him, saying their story should include a black girl who takes away a white boy from his white girlfriend. Winter feels a need to make the character of her race socially powerful. She and the other black students can’t understand Erika’s attraction to people of a different skin color and constantly try to make her feel inferior for this.
            Similarly, in Mississippi Tiral, 1955, R.C. cannot understand why Hiram would be friendly to a black boy, much less share his lunch with one. Like Winter, R.C. thinks people of different races should stick to their own colors. Of course, in Mississippi Trial, 1955, R.C. is talking about people fraternizing with their own race on a basic friendship level and is not discussing having romantic relationships that are biracial. He says, “White folk don’t share nothin’ with colored.” Even those in the book who are not racist, like Hiram’s grandfather, understand the unspoken social rule that “There is no friendship between whites and coloreds, never should be, never will be.” In both Mississippi Trial, 1955, and “I Like White Boys,” characters struggle with the question, “But do I only get to like boys that look like me?” For Hiram and Erika, skin color is just a color. But for R.C. and Winter, it’s much more than that; race, for them, represents a set of social norms that are to be followed.
           

Random connection to my life: Race shapes and defines characters’ identities in these stories, and adolescents can easily relate to this. I went to a boarding school, and our student body was diverse. I had a black friend who told me he was often harassed by other black students at my school for “acting white,” so I feel like Erika’s story is very real to many of our students.

1 comment:

  1. I liked your pairing of these two stories. You don't hear about (well at least I haven't) stories/realities in which black people want to act like white people.

    While reading your post, I thought of a boy in my class from this past year who was white but tried to act "black." He was called a wigger by a few of the students. This is something I saw through high school and college too--quite the opposite of what was happening in "I like White Boys."

    It's a shame that people are so harshly judged by their choices. Especially when it comes down to how they choose to shape their personalities. But sadly in the end, I don't think it really matters what choices we make...we'll all be judged in the end--whether we do the "right" or the "wrong" thing.

    ReplyDelete