Saturday, March 1, 2014

Cambridge, UK Day 1

After 12 hours of fantastic sleep, I started the day with a brisk walk to the Fitzwilliam Museum. On the way there I passed this church:
The name of the church is awesome: "The Catholic Church of Our Lady and the English Martyrs." Seriously, we need to reconsider some of the church names in America.

The ceilings at the Fitzwilliam were gorgeous.
Additionally, I really liked this posset pot from Staffordshire c1600.
I also really enjoyed the paintings of John Lindley.
After the Fitzwilliam, we strolled toward King's College Chapel, but got sidetracked by a street market complete with a Cheese Man Stall. 
After wandering through the vendors, we made it to King's College. We were pretty lucky in that the choir and orchestra were rehearsing while we toured. I love stained glass. I think it is incredible that the glass was removed during WWII and stored in cellars to protect the intricate glass. It was not returned until 1948.
The rest of the afternoon, we explored up and down alleys, across bridges, and through the arcades. All of the students arrived late this afternoon, and we went to dinner as a group.

No comments:

Post a Comment