Monday, November 25, 2013

A Tough Decision


Sitting in the mailbox waiting for the mailman to collect and deliver is an application to St. Bernard Academy. 

I know this might surprise some of you, BUT I LOVE school and learning. I love almost everything about school. I love to see student work displayed in the halls. I love the smiles and hugs of children. I love that I have to tell kids to "walk in the hall" as they are so excited to get to the library. I love helping  students find books that change their lives. I love when a student finally gets something after lots of hard work. I love how the laminating machine makes decorations shiny and last for a long time. I love the scissors, glue, and markers. I love to create bulletin boards that show off how smart the students are. I love all the misspelled love notes children give teachers that teachers proudly display on the wall by their desks. I love exploring, inquiring, and learning alongside students. I LOVE school and learning. 

I even love public schools. I work in lots of great schools alongside great teachers every week. Yet, some parts of public schools hurt my soul. I know that is way dramatic, but it is so true. Why can't all schools be fabulous? Why does policy trump learning? Why do we take the joy of learning away from kids? They are KIDS-- school should be awesome! School should not be about a testing. Testing is a cheap trick -- most of the kids that pass would probably pass without a teacher, and the kids that don't pass -- fight like hell and still fail -- then they quit fighting and schools/policymakers get all bent out of shape. 

So all this being said, we made a tough decision this week. Kat will change schools to where the focus is on learning to live productively and living to learn. She will be challenged, and she will grow. I will continue to advocate for and work in public schools. I will continue to work alongside teachers who navigate the rocky terrain in and around policy and their personal teaching/learning beliefs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment