Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pull Your Skirt Down

As many of you know, I went to Las Vegas for a teaching conference at the end of February. And you know the saying, "What happens in Vegas; stays in Vegas." Well, I am breaking the rule because I want to shout to the mountaintops, "GIRLS, have some respect for yourselves." 


Apparently, I missed the memo for proper Vegas attire since I was wearing jeans, ballet flats, and blouse under a pea coat. Walking down the ever popular strip, my mother gene joined my teacher gene, and I desperately wanted to walk around covering up young girls who had made the choice to walk around outside in the freezing cold basically naked. I wanted to pull out my ruler and measure their skirts and admonish them for them for wearing skirts shorter than three inches above the knee. Or at the very least their skirts needed to be longer than their fingertips. Sincerely, I worried about them; I wanted to do something to help. But what?  I had no power or authority over these girls (just in case you were wondering, these were not working girls, which is legal in Vegas, but tourists dressed for some occasion). So what did I do?  I left the Strip! 


Yes, I walked away feeling dirty and helpless. Back in the comfort of my hotel room, I began reading up on what makes Vegas, Vegas. hm... Double the police force of Nashville and Atlanta combined (with the same amount of people). Legal prostitution. Incurring debt. Drunk teenagers. High levels of homelessness. Doesn't sound like a great tourist locale to me. 


So back to the original reason for the post:
1. Girls, wear skirts/shirts/clothes that protect your body.
2. Girls, if you want to be considered a lady, dress like one.
3. Girls, decide to be considered a lady and follow #1 and #2. 

2 comments: